Thursday, March 19, 2015

In The Eye of the Beholder



Today, with the help of a retired teacher friend and a volunteer grandmother my class of 5 year olds painted brown branches onto blue paper.  This afternoon we made small tissue paper wads of paper and glued them on to create blossoms.  After school I quickly hung them on the bulletin board outside my classroom.   I made my customary step back to admire the collection.  I was amazed which two children created the most striking pieces.  One was a child with multiple impairments.  She didn’t make a branch, just several wispy stripes across the center of the paper.  Her fine motor skills are so weak she made few blossoms and they were very randomly placed.  Beautiful! 

The other little guy had no interest in the process and pretty much threw the tissue paper on the “branch”, again very striking.  The surprise of which pieces are most appealing is one of the things that draws me to student art.

3 comments:

  1. That's an interesting perspective. I've never thought about it that way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, this sounds like a fun art project. I can totally relate. I also teach Young Fives. You never know where the beauty will come from. Thank you for sharing your slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making blossom art with little ones! It is particularly delightful when they all start with the same supplies and create such individual representations. I know they are beautiful as a collection/display. Happy Spring! [It snowed in my area today...boo hoo]

    ReplyDelete