Thursday, March 24, 2016

Memories

I remember them as elderly friends.  Mr. and Mrs. Van den Bosh, went to our church.    I can recall picking apricots from their fruit trees in the yard.  I clearly remember their stone house, with a lush green yard; they also had cherry and apples trees too.  Funny, I don’t have any memories of the inside of their house.  When we were recently looking at family photos my mom commented several times the dresses my sisters and I wore were a gift from the couple.  Mom said they occasionally babysat for us.  What a treat that must have been for a young couple, working, farming and raising a quickly growing family, while living over an hour away from their own families. 

I wonder why we didn’t see them as I grew older.  My father was always so diligent about visiting people as they aged and were ill.  Did they pass when I was young?  Maybe they moved?  I need to ask Mom at Easter.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful childhood memory of kind neighbors! I love your sensory details: "stone house," "lush green yard," "cherry and apples trees." OH, and the dresses. How lucky for your parents and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful childhood memory of kind neighbors! I love your sensory details: "stone house," "lush green yard," "cherry and apples trees." OH, and the dresses. How lucky for your parents and you!

    ReplyDelete