Saturday, March 3, 2018

A Change of Plans


Growing up on a farm, we always had dogs.  We loved playing with them and they alerted us as soon as anyone started up our quarter mile driveway.  On the farm dogs were never allowed in the house.  They went into the barns when the weather got nasty.  We never considered the need to chain or pen my childhood pets, they wandered freely around our land, and we never gave them a thought for grooming or training. 
As an adult, now living on a busy road our family dogs have always been primarily inside animals.  The freely wandering dogs of my childhood don’t mix with neighbors only a half an acre away.
This year as our son does a residency in a college town his wife and four children are living in a small three bedroom apartment.  His great Pyrenees mix dog is spending the year with us.  Baxter joins Belle, a golden lab in our home.  The dogs are friendly and usually lie so close I can’t tell where one starts and the other ends.  For most of the past nine months we would occasionally get up to discover the dogs on the couch.  Recently, they don’t even pretend to lay anywhere else.  Our grey cloth couch is now covered with white hair.  Really long white hair, belongs to Baxter, the short is Belle.  The couch now belongs to the dogs. 
Thursday night my husband texted me to plan dinner with friends.   They wanted to see the transformation of our remodeled house, we planned to share desert at our home after dinner out.  The couch would be sat on by humans!  Last night  I tidied the house and dust mopped the floor my husband vacuumed the couch.  Accepting the inevitable reality we covered the couch with a sheet as we left the house. 
Hours later we showed off the many changes in our house to our friends, Wayne quickly removed the covering on the couch. We sat and chatted for hours over brownie sundaes.  This morning as I woke, I recalled the delightful evening with friends, I wondered if we’d protected our recently clean couch and then I remembered, I forgot to slice!  Darn! 




1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful evening with friends! Love the line "The couch would be sat on by humans!" - so funny!

    ReplyDelete